Oct 16, 2010

A Touch of Shakespeare


Last weekend we visited the "Elizabethan Village" pub in Armadale, Western Australia.
In this video Leo Fowler's daughter Sally-Ann explains about her father's dream of building replica houses of both William Shakespeare's Birthplace & Anne Hathaway's cottage. More videos can be seen on her YouTube channel here.


Here are a few of the photos we took while we were there.






I've loved Shakespeare since high school. My favourites are Macbeth, Much Ado About Nothing, and A Midsummer Night's Dream.  


Shakespeare's complete works are available online here thanks to The Tech at MIT. I always feel no education is complete without some Shakespeare.


If you ever get a chance to see the PBS special called "In Search of Shakepeare" it is a fascinating documentary. I managed to see it thanks to my local library. There's a lot of food for thought.


Over the years many people have interpreted Shakespeare's works in so many different ways. But I still think a live performance is unbeatable. Last year I saw Macbeth performed by a local theatre company and it was riveting, even though I knew what was going to happen I was still on the edge of my seat.


I love the era so much I bought myself one of these Renaissance dresses called "Romeo & Juliet" from Holy Clothing.


I can't resist buying a Shakespearean book from a garage sale or second hand book shop. Since I'm sure my collection is not yet complete, I'll just have to keep my eye out a few years longer. 


Sonnet #18

Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate: Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, And summer’s lease hath all too short a date: Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines, And often is his gold complexion dimm’d; And every fair from fair sometime declines, By chance, or nature’s changing course untrimm’d; But thy eternal summer shall not fade, Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st, Nor shall death brag thou wander’st in his shade, When in eternal lines to time thou grow’st; So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see, So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.
William Shakespeare







1 comment:

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.