Nov 11, 2010

Being a Green Reader

I love collecting old books. I keep old books that belonged to relatives and I never buy new if it is available second-hand. I also pass along books, share them, donate them, sell them and use the Library. All of these practices were, in my mind, a little contribution to greening the Earth.
I try the same practices when it comes to other consumer goods, clothes, and crafting materials. But sometimes we just have to buy new. This is because it is a newly written book, or a new invention or consumable materials.
This is where it becomes a more difficult road to traverse. Adding up food miles, buying locally made, looking for the phosphate-free, or biodegradable alternatives, choosing less packaging. It's a minefield and sometimes it's harder for me than simple recycling because I was raised by parents who composted & recycled as much as possible, long before it was fashionable.
Well, thanks to Eco Libris they have provided us with some ideas on that score. Through their site you can plant trees to balance out your books. You can learn about which publishers are using environmentally friendly techniques and they have also started the "Green Books Campaign" which is linked here.



"On Wednesday, November 10, 2010, at 1:00 PM Eastern Time 200 bloggers will take a stand to support books printed on environmental paper by simultaneously publishing reviews of 200 such books."


They have a list and links to all the bloggers on the above linked page. They also have a great resource page, with lots of relevant information. 







I would like to hear of any other campaigns like this. Unfortunately it isn't as simple as "use ebooks", as that debate would be equivalent to the nappy/diaper debate in terms of weighing up energy use and equipment etc.
What do other people think? As book lovers and readers how can we lessen our environmental impact? 
It was always ironic to me that when the environmental movement first began, tons of books and pamphlets were distributed to educate people on becoming greener. So what are your thoughts?




Thanks to The Hip Girl's Guide to Homemaking for the original link to Eco Libris and the "Green Books Campaign".








3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous resource! I hadn't heard about this before. I also try to buy used when possible, donate to the library and sell on Amazon.

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting Kat. I'll have to spend more time in the back room at the local bookstore. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of Eco Libris, thanks for that.

    I like t think ereaders might cut back on paper ue but then they are made from plastic and minerals from obtained from countries with dodgy work laws/conditions for workers.

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.