Dec 31, 2011

New Year - Hogmanay




Growing up  we celebrated many Scottish Traditions. My father is from Scotland and we had a lot to do with Dad's parents as well.
My Mother's own mother died prematurely and as we all know it's tough raising kids at any time. But us girls really rely upon our Mothers. My Mum and her Mother in Law forged a relationship based upon the mutual love and welfare of us kids. It's a model I followed and was lucky enough to give my children two sets of grandparents and myself two friends because of it. 
So anyway, growing up we had a much stronger Scottish influence than we did Irish or Australian because of these circumstances. 
We always made a much bigger deal of New Year than we did of Christmas. In Scotland New Year is known as Hogmanay. 
There is a little background about Hogmanay at Visit Scotland.
We always cleaned the house, first footed, ate traditional fare (yes, even Haggis and Black Pudding), partied, toasted, held hands and sang.



Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And never brought to mind?

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And auld lang syne!



Chorus:


For auld lang syne, my jo,

For auld lang syne,

We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet

For auld lang syne.






All the best for 2012.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Hogmanay, Kate! Have an incredible 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice memories. I mentioned Hogmanay and Robert Burns on my blog too. Your blog hop friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it makes me happy to see another Robert Burns fan!

    I absolutely love Scotland, especially it's history and traditions. It's one of the most beautiful places I've even seen.

    Also, thanks for the comment and the follow!

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.