Jan 18, 2012

Guest post - Troythulu on Fractal Art

Welcome, I'm so excited to share the first of my guest posts for 2012. I gave my writer and blogger friends the scope of topics encompassing "creativity' ,and the ideas they have come up with are wonderful. I hope you enjoy these topics and writers as much as I have.


I asked my friend Troythulu to explain a bit about his fractal art that he has been sharing (and fascinating his online friends with) this past year or so. The text is all his, but the links are mine - just a helping hand for newbies. I also recommend the documentary The Colors of Infinity

xx



The Thoughts of a Fractal Madman





I love art, and I love maths, and since late 2010 I've been using the latter to make the former, using the late Benoit Mandelbrot's work to do my own work in a medium I can deal with.

The fractal madness is made with two apps for the Mac I'm most familiar with: a shareware app called Fractal Domains and a freeware piece, XaoS, the second of which I'm still learning to fully exploit.

It started innocently enough -- the intent was to have art for my WordPress blog free of copyright restrictions, and that meant making my own -- but it quickly blossomed out of control…

Soon, I was testing my images on sites like Twitter, TwitPic and Tumblr, seeing what worked and what not, and they were tested with my own scrutiny as well -- and developing what passes for "an eye" for assessing the images, resulting in many of them being "culled" as not up to adequate measures of coolness.

With the software as the medium, mostly rendering the images as JPEGs or the more efficient PNG files, I've noticed that each image generated is an exploration, adjusting a formula here, clicking on a setting button there, zooming in on areas of the image not previously magnified to see what cool shapes make themselves apparent, and tweaking the color map settings, randomizing the process, and combining these to see what comes up, just to see what happens.

It's almost as if I don't create them…They create themselves through me -- All I do is tell the software what to do, and it does the rest, unequivocally using both science and maths for its work -- science and engineering for the computer hardware and apps, and maths for the deceptively simple algorithms to generate the infinite complexity of the sets the images derive from.
Hours in the evening or early morning alike are often spent exploring new images, like the Kepler 'scope discovering a new exoplanet or something.
This sometimes bodes ill for my sleep cycles, but it's fun, and beneficial as a sort of mindfulness exercise during time not spent with a project or life situation.

The following images are brought to you by the exponents 2, 4, 8, 16, and by the letter N, for that cranky but brilliant English guy who also discovered gravity and the 3 laws of motion







3 comments:

  1. I love the purple one! So interesting to read about different types of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting this, Kate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big fan of the blue and purple one.

    Kristin

    PS - Wendy says Thank You for complimenting her beauty. She also said to tell you that you are very wise because you recognized beauty when you saw it.

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.