Jan 27, 2013

The Life of Pi Movie

The lovely people over at Nuffnang held a competition for tickets to an advanced screening of  Life of Pi from Twentieth Century Fox. We were lucky enough to win with our picture below with a little tall tale about how we had raised this little tiger and called him Richard Parker, but we heard he was lost at sea with a boy called Pi. Unfortunately, Mike couldn't make it, so I went with Jessi from Jessi in Wonderland. You can read her review here. Sincere apologies for not doing this review sooner, but as you can see I have had to have quite a big blogging break due to personal reasons. 

This is a picture of Mike & Kate (me) in Thailand having our own little adventure with a tiger. 





Unless you have been living under a rock, by now you would have heard of the Life of Pi. It has been nominated for 11 Academy awards. I agree wholeheartedly with these nominations and I'm sure we will be seeing them taking home more than a few of the awards come February. 
This is the first movie I have seen in 3D since the days of the blue & red glasses, so that was a real treat for me. You can read what I thought of the book in my book reviews links in the sidebar, or by going to this link. 
Apart from my previously discussed problems with the actual story line in the book (that island, grrr!) the film is amazing. It is visually stunning and has a wonderful score. I can't praise the film enough for the way you are immersed into the surroundings. It's a memorable experience that should not be missed. I don't think you can wait until this comes out on DVD, you need to experience it in the theatres. Off you go!



Irfan Khan (The Darjeerling Limited, Slum Dog Millionaire) is wonderful as the adult Pi. He has serenity and a calm assuredness as well as the resilience of a survivor. Khan can convey a lot of meaning with just a look. 

Newcomer, Suraj Sharma is an amazing talent. He has to carry almost the whole story and he is brilliant.

The movie holds true to the book, with only a few minor changes. But it would have been difficult to express, for example - the problems of the boy who was a vegetarian  having to eat meat in order to survive. It's easier to write about, but it's not like you can convey some of these feelings without a monologue or an internal dialogue. The scenes of the zoo as well as India in general are very beautiful. The main story of the boy lost at sea with a tiger is well presented. It is very difficult to shoot a film in one location and with few characters, so the way this story is interspersed with the present and the past helps keep the interest.

If you have any concerns with the ending as some people seemed to express, there's a great article here but BEWARE - it contains spoilers. 

There's also a fabulous article asking Yann Martel what he thought of the film, which is worth a read. I think that as a writer, he did a fabulous job of putting the story squarely in the lap of the reader, and the film continues this message - what do YOU think happened?





5 comments:

  1. The film was amazing. Lee did a wonderful job bringing it to the screen. I'm glad you liked it!

    Thanks for sharing that article. So, what do you believe really happened? I choose to believe the story with the tiger. I want to believe in miracles. =O)

    It's great that Martel was happy with the film. I know it had to make him feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I thought I left a comment. I've wanted to read this book but am worried the ending will be really sad. The story sounds so good and encouriging for all of us that we can accomplish what we want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The movie was magnificent, and almost had me convinced that the improbable wasn't after all. That's a tall order for me when it comes to fiction, and if I were a bonobo, I'd give it four thumbs up. Instead, I'll settle for just two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna,
    I reviewed the book & the movie, I think you commented there. You are such a lovely lady to comment so often and support me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Troy, I'm glad you liked it, too.
    Michelle, I would like to believe in the tiger story, to uphold the beauty of life, but secretly I'm very much a realist and I think the other is more plausible. But I'll go with the tiger for fiction's sake and to embrace positivism.

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.