Mar 19, 2013

GLAM - Open Library




GLAM is an acronym for Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums. It also incorporates other cultural institutions such as theatres, zoos, botanical gardens, public broadcasters etc. (Wikimedia Outreach)

While studying Information Science, I realised that I come across many interesting resources that some people may not know about. I will be sharing some of these on a regular basis, to spread the GLAM knowledge.


This week I will share the Open Library, which is another project of the Internet Archive.




Open Library is a collection of over 20 million books. Those in the public domain are free to download. Many modern books are also available to borrow for free, like a regular library.

There are 5 tutorial videos explaining what Open Library is, and just how to use it. They can be accessed here.

Just like a Wiki, this project is possible through the work and contributions of many people. 

So whether you want to read a classic such as my favourite Alice's Adventures in Wonderland or maybe an "out of print" book, you might just find it at the Open Library. 



Alice's adventures in Wonderland 
by Lewis Carroll [pseud.] with an introduction by E. S. Martin, illustrated by Peter Newell.

Published 1901 by Harper & brothers in New York, and London .




2 comments:

  1. omg, what a great post! I absolutely love it. Thank you for telling us all about it. I know I'm getting an account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is VERY cool, Kate. I'll be signing up for this myself!

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.