Mar 12, 2013

GLAM - the Wayback Machine



GLAM is an acronym for Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums. It also incorporates other cultural institutions such as theatres, zoos, botanical gardens, public broadcasters etc. (Wikimedia Outreach)

While studying Information Science, I realised that I come across many interesting resources that some people may not know about. I will be sharing some of these on a regular basis, to spread the GLAM knowledge.


This week I will share The Internet Archive: Wayback Machine.




Founded in 1996, the Internet Archive is a non-profit organisation that is building a library of the Internet. You can read all about it here.
"Its purposes include offering permanent access for researchers, historians, scholars, people with disabilities, and the general public to historical collections that exist in digital format."
Since I have been studying Digital Information Science, I have begun to realise that digital repositories such as these are the best defence against a Digital Dark Age or Digital Black Hole. Where we lose so much material of cultural significance simply because no one "backed it up" or kept it secure. 

I think it's important to support these projects. I'm sure many writers will also find them useful tools when researching their books. So check out the Wayback Machine.





2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this idea. I sometimes spend so much time researching. This is a site to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once used this site for research on an old bloggy article from 2009.

    I was poking around the archived webpages of psychics' sites looking for any hint of a prediction of the November Noreaster storm that hit my home town that year.

    I found no mention of it, but it was fun to look and see for myself rather than debunk from the armchair.

    A very useful site indeed...

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.