Here's a few of the outfits I made for my Barbies. I hope to make some more in the future.
The two Ken dolls didn't want to miss out, so one got a scarf and the other one got a fringed vest. Don't they look handsome? The vest was a basic rectangle for the back and two rectangles for the front. Add a fringe and you're retro.
This strapless gown was just a shorter, sleeveless version of the one on the Woman's Weekly page that is linked at the very bottom of the page. (Night at the Opera - see the Glamorous Clothes for Teenage Dolls link). I like to use old patterns to help with the shape and so I know when to decrease or increase, but I never seem to stick to the pattern.
The blue top below was a rectangle, but I decreased at the arm holes and neck. For the back, I only decreased at the armholes. The blue skirt is my favourite, I used the basic pattern from the pattern below (Afternoon Ensemble). I just made the skirt part of the pattern and made it a bit shorter and a bit fuller so it was Rockabilly style.
The poncho is so cool. I'm going to do a post on this later, so I can show how you can crochet, knit, or sew a poncho for Barbie, or big girls. These are so much fun and easy to make, I make them all the time.
The pattern below was cut out from The Australian Women's Weekly in 1965. My mother-in-law gave it to me. Thanks to some lovely people, we can now access the older Australian Woman's Weeklies from Trove at the National Library of Australia. This is the pattern I used to make the dark blue skirt. I also used the pattern of the other dress on that page to get the shape of the strapless gown (picture three). I was able to find the exact page on Trove and you can access it at the link below (just click on the words. (At Trove you can zoom in to read the pattern)