May 8, 2013

Easy Peasy Ponchos





Back when I did a post about making some clothes for Barbie I mentioned that I would talk about how I made this cute little poncho and how that can be adapted for human sized poncho lovers. Everyone is always asking me about these ponchos and they are so easy to make. 


Step One: 

Make some squares. You need four. You can make granny squares, knitted squares, or grab four squares of your favourite fleece or knit fabric (something that won't unravel when you cut it). 
For a spring option you can use four scarves or bandannas. 
As a general rule I make the squares about the length of your arm, or the arm of the person you are making the poncho for. You can make it slightly shorter (like Barbies above)  for little ones, so it won't dip in their dinner. 



Step Two:

It's all about the joining. You want to have a diamond shape on your front and back. You want the other two squares to drape over your arms. Make sure you join the squares as shown below. with only a point under your chin, but a whole side of the square over your arm. 
If you are handy at crochet, you can crochet the squares together. Otherwise whip stitch them (as shown in this link ) with a darning needle and some yarn. Fabric can be sewn on your sewing machine. 


Step Three:

Embellish. You can see on the poncho below I have single crocheted around the neck many times to create a collar effect. Other ponchos I have made fringes like the hippy days. It's up to you. You can make a fringe using yarn cut to lengths (like in this tutorial) or you can sew on pre-made embellishments such as lace or fringes, depending upon your taste. 


Here's a poncho I made which is modeled
 by my gorgeous daughter from  

You can see a couple of earlier ponchos 
I made on my Flickr here and here


4 comments:

  1. Neat! This post just reminded me of that long-neglected idea for a fractal tutorial that needs being done - and I must note the apparent fracticality of these ponchos too.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! So impressed. I love the little one for the barbie and the grown version is really pretty too. One day maybe I'll give it a try!!

    Happy crafting!
    ~Anna
    herding cats & burning soup

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poncho! You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. Great idea. Easy to make too.

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.