Apr 8, 2014

Divergent - The Movie




My brother-in-law won tickets to see Divergent thanks to 96FM, so my sister and I got to head off to one of the first West Australian screenings. We had a bit of fun, and I mentioned to my sister that this is the kind of thing she and I used to do before we had kids. (I hear a collective sigh from the Mamas).  I haven't read the books, but I've heard they are the next big thing in YA fiction, and are already being compared to The Hunger Games. I have them sitting in my study as a present to our daughter (shh, don't tell her!).





I really enjoyed this film. It was reminiscent of The Hunger Games, set in a dystopian future, along with undertones of youth culture being the saviours of humanity, and it contains a strong female lead. 
But I feel this story stands on its own. There are clear messages about the importance of diversity, and clearly there is an Orwellian message about the importance of a free and open society. This is probably more important than ever, as world wide governments are continually enforcing laws that restrict our freedoms. 

Synopsis:

DIVERGENT is a thrilling action-adventure film set in a world where
people are divided into distinct factions based on human virtues. Tris
Prior (Shailene Woodley) is warned she is Divergent and will never
fit into any one group. When she discovers a conspiracy by a faction
leader (Kate Winslet) to destroy all Divergents, Tris must learn to trust
in the mysterious Four (Theo James) and together they must find out
what makes being Divergent so dangerous before it's too late.
Based on the best-selling book series by Veronica Roth.

http://divergentthemovie.com/

1 comment:

  1. This is good to know. I've wondered how the movie would do.

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.