Nov 20, 2016

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Movie




We headed off to the cinema on Friday to catch the movie Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I have been hanging out for my Wizarding World fix for a while, and I was not disappointed. This is not Harry Potter, so don't expect it to be, but it certainly has its own charm. 


Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) has arrived in America with a mission, but when he is spotted and detained by enthusiastic Ministry employee Tina (Katherine Waterston), he comes under scrutiny for the magical beasts that he keeps in his case, some of which have inadvertently escaped. 

As soon as I saw the first creature going after shiny objects, I whispered to my husband "That's probably a Niffler," and I knew I was immersed in the Wizarding World once more. 

After meeting Tina, who explains the differences between English magical laws and those in  America, Newt and Tina are drawn into an adventure with Tina's sister Queenie (Alison Sudol), and a muggle/no-maj, Jacob (Dan Fogler) along for the ride. Newt's creatures are blamed for destruction and possible exposure of the magical world to non-magical folk, and magical creatures are illegal in America, where the laws are very strict including no marriages between no -majs and witches or wizards. 

Can Newt and his friends find all of the creatures and solve the riddle of the magical destructive force that is threatening exposure of the magical world? I think you will be delighted with the result. I was. 

Dan Fogler plays Jacob hilariously; my husband was highly amused by the giggle water scene. Alison Sudol is delightful as Queenie. There is also some great performances by Colin Farrell as Percival Graves, an Auror with a secret and a penchant for causing trouble for Tina and Newt; and Ezra Miller as Credence Barebone, a young man abused by his adoptive mother and forced to preach against the magical world. 

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was released worldwide on 18th November 2016 and is playing in cinemas around the world. 



2 comments:

  1. This sounds so awesomositous, Kate, I'll have to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this yet. Guess I better. I wasn't sure it'd be that good.

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love comments. All comments are moderated. No word verification.